Monday, May 16, 2011

Cart Before Horse? Forefoot vs. Midfoot vs. Heel striking

Intriguing article here from The Science of Sport blog, on the merits (or perhaps lack thereof) of consciously trying to change the way our running mechanics work--specifically the foot strike.  By the way, Science of Sport is a great read anytime you are sitting around and want to read nerdy articles about the science of running.  I'll let you read the article, but my personal opinion is that the author is dead on in his personal opinion.  It appears that the science is inconclusive at this point (i.e. there are a few possible logical conclusions, any of which can be argued but none of which can be definitively proven with available data), but I like the author's conclusions which tend to be vindicated by my experience.  I have found that consciously trying to alter my stride has often resulted in injury and has ultimately proved ineffective at yielding the desired result (faster running for longer distances) when compared to my current approach of "just log as many miles and quality workouts as humanly possible and dang the rest."  By the same token, I have found that my stride, and my running form in general, has naturally become more efficient (less pounding sensation, longer shoe life, and faster running) as a positive function of how many miles I run, and with no conscious influence on my part.  Anyway, check it out.  Also, check out the discussion below the article.  Lots of great points on the subject no matter what your personal approach might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment