Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cache Valley Trail Reviews

Warning:  Nerd Alert.  I like to categorize and measure stuff.  Starting soon, now that the snow is melting, I will be conducting a review of the trails in and around Cache Valley (or more accurately, the mountains around Cache Valley).  I have been waiting all winter for the snow to melt so I can hit some of my favorite trails again.  The purpose of these reviews is to share these trails with others, so that anyone can enjoy them and know exactly what to expect.  A review will consist of a brief description, a map, elevation profile, photos, and a rating.  The rating will be 1-5 stars, five being the best, and will be based on the following criteria:  Accessibility, runability, and scenic value.


Tony Grove Lake via Blind Hollow


Accessibility will be determined by drive or run time from Logan (probably First Dam Parking Lot), essentially "How quickly can I be running on this trail from now."  Trails like Green Canyon or the Logan River trail, which are just a short jog away will receive 5 stars for accessibility, while something near Tony Grove or one that requires a shuttle car might receive 1 star.

Runability measures the technicality of the trail.  A trail like Stump Hollow, which is very smooth, might receive 5 stars.  A trail that is overgrown or full of boulders where you spend half your time walking to avoid breaking an ankle would receive one star.  Note:  This is not a measure of how physically strenuous a trail is.  That information will be included in the description and elevation profile. 

Scenic Value is my opportunity to be subjective.  But I think I have pretty good taste.  Breathtaking views, unique landmarks or history, etc will obviously receive high marks.  Deer Fence might be one that isn't particularly scenic.  Naomi Peak or Old Ephraim's Grave would probably be high on my list.

I will include each individual rating, plus an overall rating which is an average of the three.  I would welcome suggestions for new criteria, comments, disagreements, additional information, etc, so please be vocal.  And go try these trails.  There are some fabulous trails in the area that no one seems to know about.  Even if you're not a runner, this information will be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment