Friday, January 6, 2012

5 Keys to Marathon Training: Preview


'Tis the season to sign up for those summer and fall races, and as is usual at this time of year, I've been getting a lot of questions from friends and acquaintances who are beginning training for their first marathon, or who just want to improve their training for their next big race. In light of this, I've decided to write a series of posts on what I consider to be 5 essential keys to training successfully for a marathon. As a warmup, I will tell you what this series is not, and what it is.

What this is not:
  1. This is not a training plan. There are many training plans and philosophies out there that are available for your perusal and use. Some are good. Some are not. I will not endorse or condemn any one training plan. Those who are familiar with some of the finer nuances of marathon training lore will recognize some heavy influences from Tinman's philosophy, but my philosophy towards marathon training and running in general combines many ideas from multiple sources and from my own experience.
  2. This is not an exhaustive list of all factors and methods that influence or improve marathon training and running performance. Runners are like snowflakes in that no two are exactly alike, so naturally no two runners should train exactly alike. Age, fitness, experience, health, genetics, work ethic, and yes, talent, all have an important part to play in what each runner can do and how he or she should approach training. The items mentioned here are merely what I have found to work for myself, those who have mentored me in my own quest for excellence, and for runners I have helped learn how to train in one capacity or another.
  3. This is not a scientific discussion by an expert in exercise science, nor is it the work of an elite marathoner, but I will refer to the ideas of some scientific experts and elites, as well as the advice I have received from some very accomplished runners (including multiple Olympic Trials qualifiers, seasoned ultramarathoners, track athletes, and everything in between) I have had the pleasure to be acquainted with over the years.

What this is:
  1. As I stated before, this series is not a training plan. Rather, my goal in writing these ideas is to help runners who are new to the marathon, or even more experienced runners looking for more guidance or a fresh approach, to learn how to train themselves. Since I began running marathons nearly 5 years ago, I have had many people who have helped me to become independent in my running. By this I mean that I don't have to rely on a training plan someone wrote for me, and I have learned to listen to my body and experiment and find the things that work best for me. I am certainly still a work in progress, and I still ask advice and seek out information from those more knowledgeable than myself, but I am better able to train to my abilities because of the help I have received, so this is my way of paying it forward.
  2. The five keys I have listed here are the major things I have found which influence my performance and training the most, and which are within my control.  Again, this is not an all-inclusive list.  Take what you find useful, incorporate it into your training, and leave the rest for someone else.

I will post this series in 5 parts. They are as follows:

Marathon Specific Training
Pre-Race Taper
Nutrition
Rest, Recovery, and the Prevention and Treatment of Injuries

Additionally, if you wish to share more insights, experiences, anecdotes, agreement, or disagreement, please feel more than free to leave a comment.  In fact, I encourage it.  The more information and experience that can be collected here, the more helpful it will be to someone looking for guidance.
I hope you will find this helpful, and I wish you success. Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment